Prayer requested for PNG amid national unrest
Fri, 08/26/2022 – 15:02
Urgent prayer is requested by Peter Kui, superintendent of the Bromley District in Papua New Guinea (PNG). Kui shared about the current situation after the recent national election in PNG.
After the PNG election, many disgruntled supporters of the losing candidates caused excessive damage to the properties of innocent people in the Jimi Valley area. Millions of Kinas (PNG’s currency) worth of properties were destroyed, including the parsonage where a Nazarene pastor and his family lived, which was burned to ashes. The pastor and his family hid in the bush for two nights and later were rescued by one of our Nazarene pastors from another district.
A village near the Tabiguga government station where David Kina lived is now deserted. Seven hundred houses were burned to the ground, and about two hundred villagers are now homeless and forced into hiding because of fear. The tension is still high, and there are no government authorities on the ground to enforce peace and normalcy.
Furthermore, some sections of a key road are blocked, and huge ditches were dug to cut off the road completely. A bridge was destroyed to make it more difficult for the majority of the population to have access.
- Pray for the protection of the leaders, churches, and members and their families who are caught in the middle of this violent situation.
- Pray for spiritual programs in the Bromley district that have and will be affected by this violence.
- Pray for the women from the Bromley district, who are experiencing challenges and finding it difficult to come out and attend the National Women’s Conference in Lae this September.
- Pray for Peter Kui, that he and his wife can return to their home. Kui’s only means of communication with his pastors and the District Advisory Board is through his cellphone.
- Pray that God would intervene in this most challenging situation, that this violence will stop, and that the government will be able to solve this peace and order problem in the country.